Skincare for Different Ages
No one will argue that skincare is important. However, it can be difficult to know what products are best. From differing ingredients to the hundreds of options, creating a routine can seem like a downright mystery. While it’s important to learn about the different types of skincare, factors such as age come into play as well! Someone in their 20s looking to prevent aging and someone wanting to reduce the appearing signs require different things. Even if a product has the best quality, natural, and effective ingredients – if it’s not what your skin needs, you won’t see optimal results! While there is much to consider, looking for age-specific skincare routines is a good place to start. Read on to learn more about youthful skin maintenance and get some skincare tips for different ages.
Skincare by AgeSome things are consistent across the entire skincare board. For example, you want cleansers without harsh ingredients, a pH-balanced toner, and a healthy, hydrating moisturizer. However, within these ideals are hundreds of ingredients and many ways to tailor formulas. Some people may need to address acne, others dryness, and others want age-defying skincare routines as they get older. Age-appropriate skincare practices are different at each stage:
Skincare in Your Teens and 20sOne of the primary concerns for teens and those in their early twenties is often oily skin and/or acne. Acne is common in teenagers as they’re going through many changes physically and emotionally, and hormones can get out of whack. Most important things to keep in mind:
- Use gentle, alcohol-free cleansers that protect your skin’s moisture barrier.
- Find products that target bacteria to keep your pores clean.
- Have an acne treatment on-hand for when you do experience breakouts.
Skincare in Your 30sMany people enjoy a youthful, glowing appearance in their 20s without too much intense effort. However, it’s in your 30s that early signs of aging can start to appear. One of your main goals in your 30s is to find age-defying skincare routines that can prevent early wrinkles. You’ll also start seeing the signs of sun damage, which is why you must protect yourself even in your younger years. Lastly, this is also a good time to start using a daily retinoid. This product can help reverse early sun damage and prevent wrinkles Many over-the-counter products are a great place to start, though prescription options are available. It’s a good conversation to have with your dermatologist. Most important things to keep in mind:
- Continue with sun protection – 30 SPF minimum any time you’re going out in the sun. You may even consider a daily SPF moisturizer regardless of the weather.
- Introduce anti-aging products into your routine that can help you prevent wrinkles from forming.
- Focus on hydration as your skin will start drying out faster and easier.
- Introduce additional steps into your routine through special serums and oils. These products tend to be very specific and can help you address your individual concerns.
Skincare in Your 40sCollagen is something that we produce naturally and it plays a huge role in keeping our skin strong, firm, and healthy. Unfortunately, collagen production slows as we age, resulting in thinner, looser skin. This can start showing up around your 40s and it’s especially evident on the face. This is a good time to introduce products that boost collagen production and retention to increase the firmness and elasticity of your skin. It’s also a good time to really focus on the eye area. Under-eye circles may appear more drastic and this area may start feeling very dry. Thankfully, there are plenty of fantastic eye creams out there that can help with hydration and puffiness. Most important things to keep in mind:
- Stay on top of collagen production and look for products that include collagen peptides and collagen boosters.
- Don’t neglect the eye area as the skin around the eyes is naturally very thin. Apply good-quality eye creams once or twice a day. Look for cooling ingredients that can bring down inflammation.
- Look for ingredients that will boost circulation such as caffeine. This will keep oxygen flowing to your skin and will help boost collagen production as well.
Skincare for 50+Despite using the best anti-aging skincare routines, there are some signs of aging that eventually can’t be stopped. As we get older, we’ll experience a duller, splotchy complexion in addition to fine lines and wrinkles. While certain things are unavoidable, it’s still possible to have healthy skin at every age. If you haven’t already, this may be a good time to switch out your basic retinol product for a stronger prescription one. It’s also a good time to start looking for products with ingredients to brighten your complexion and improve its texture. Niacinamide and vitamin C are particularly good in this area. Many skincare products have these ingredients in the mix, but you can also get stronger, more potent serums that feature a higher concentration. These are what will give you the best skincare for mature skin as you work to maintain a healthy glow. Most important things to remember:
- Look for products that focus on collagen and collagen production.
- Talk to your dermatologist about increasing the strength of your retinol cream.
- Look for niacinamide and vitamin C serums to help brighten and balance your complexion.
- Focus on hydration and look for products with hyaluronic acid.
Skincare for Various Life StagesJust because aging is inevitable, doesn’t mean there’s nothing we can do to help our skin! Each stage will need certain product and ingredient adjustments to maintain a healthy, youthful glow. The best thing you can do is to follow the recommendations for your age bracket, and start young! If you’re in your teens or early 20s, don’t neglect your skincare routine just because you don’t have immediate problems. You’ll thank yourself in 20 years! And if you’re dealing with the fallout of a poor skincare regime in the past, don’t fret! Plenty of products and treatments exist to help reverse the signs of aging and get you glowing again. Contact us today to ask about the many treatments we have available, or to book a consultation!