How to Use a Microneedling Tool to Make Your Skin Look Younger?
Younger skin is a universal goal among men and women from all walks of life. As we get older, our skin ages. We can’t avoid getting older, but we can avoid letting our skin deteriorate! A good skincare routine with healthy, quality products is a must, but it’s only the start. Above all else, you must stay consistent with your skincare, otherwise, you’re setting yourself up for failure.
Even with a great and consistent routine, though, skin often isn’t perfect. The skin on your face can be temperamental, breaking out due to stress or dietary changes, for example. If you’re struggling with certain skin issues that you can’t seem to fix, you may want to try an additional treatment.
Something like microneedling is a great place to start. It’s non-invasive, suitable for most people, and quite effective in giving your skin a younger and healthier look.
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is essentially what it sounds like. The treatment uses a series of micro-needles to cause tiny, microscopic, superficial wounds on your skin. Your body will immediately try to heal these wounds, causing a rush of collagen and elastin to the surface. This is what causes the classic “plumper” look right after a micro-needling treatment.
The process also stimulates your skin and its healing process, increasing its ability to regenerate itself. This spurs the growth of new, healthy skin cells, thus creating a cleaner complexion and a younger, smoother appearance.
Microneedling is known for plumping and smoothing your skin and making it look younger, but there are so many other benefits to enjoy. Whether you’re coming into the clinic or maintaining a treatment protocol at home, you’ll love everything microneedling has to offer:
- Minimize wrinkles, scars, and stretch marks
- Reduce enlarged pores
- Even out skin tone and texture
- Improve elasticity
- Results can be seen almost immediately
- Non-invasive and requires much less recovery time than some other procedures
- Slows and prevents the signs of aging
- Reduce blackheads
- Reduce spider veins and broken capillaries
- Improves the effectiveness of creams and serums
- Reduce bags and dark circles under the eyes
- And more!
There are a few different ways you can get a microneedling treatment for your skin. Often, it’s done in a clinic by professionals. They have advanced tools and technology that ensure the process is done perfectly and you get the absolute best results.
These treatments are best for people who have serious skin concerns and will likely need multiple treatments. Microneedling is safe to do pretty frequently, so most people see great results from the clinic within a few weeks.
Most not only report great improvement in their skin’s condition, but they achieve that beautiful, younger appearance they’re after.
At Home Microneedling
Another option is to do microneedling treatments on your own, at home. These are usually done with a tool called a derma roller. A basic derma roller is pretty easy to find in stores and it comprises of a small roller covered in tiny spikes, on a convenient handle for easy application.
Before starting at-home microneedling treatments, you should learn how to do it properly and understand the potential risks and side effects.
First is the needle size. 0.2mm is the most common and is considered quite safe and effective for at-home treatment. Some go up to 0.3mm, but any larger is not recommended for at home and should be left to the professionals. It’s important to always follow the instructions closely for whatever product you’re using to ensure not only the best but the safest results.
Lastly, you should be aware of the potential issues and side effects:
- Overuse or too much pressure can cause pinpoint bleeding, redness, irritation, and damage to the skin.
- In rare cases, an infection can occur especially if the treatment is not done properly.
- Skin may appear flushed and/or red following treatment. This is normal.
- If you have active acne, it may not be the best time to use a derma roller. By rolling over the acne, you could spread bacteria around your face. This could ultimately cause more issues than the microneedling is solving.
- Those who are pregnant, suffering from a skin disease, or have extremely sensitive skin prone to tearing should not do microneedling.
Everyone’s skin is a little different, and different product may recommend different methods. But, there are a few universal steps you should follow to optimize the process and achieve the youngest-looking, most glowing skin:
- Start by cleansing your skin with your favourite cleanser.
- Apply your favourite serum or serums. Hyaluronic acid and/or niacinamide-based products are good during this step for maximum hydration and suppleness.
- Roll the derma roller vertically, diagonally, and then horizontally about two or three times on your desired treatment areas. You may choose to treat only one or two spots on your face with the most issues or do a full treatment.
- Apply another layer of serum.
- Finish with a generous layer of your favourite moisturizer.
- Mild inflammation and redness are normal, but you can help these things subside by following the micro-needling with an ice roller treatment. You can also use a jade roller that’s been kept in the fridge or freezer.
By following these steps, you’re setting the treatment up to do its best work. Not only does your skin benefit from the needles, but by applying serums first, the pressure from the derma roller helps them sink deeper into the skin.
Enjoy Younger-Looking Skin Fast
One of the best things about microneedling is how fast you can potentially see results. Whether you decide to do it at home or at the clinic, you can often notice a difference after just one treatment – and there’s no recovery time! It’s non-invasive and often painless.
Not only will your skin look younger but it’ll feel younger too! The effects of microneedling improve more than your skin’s appearance – it improves health and longevity as well. It’s time to look good, and, most importantly, feel good in your own skin!